Monday, August 07, 2006

UPON CHRIST THE SOLD ROCK I STAND


My hope is built on nothing lessThan Jesus’ blood and righteousness;I dare not trust the sweetest frame,But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,I rest on His unchanging grace;In every high and stormy gale,My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood Support me in the whelming flood;When all around my soul gives way,He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,Oh, may I then in Him be found;Dressed in His righteousness alone,Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain: On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;All other ground is sinking sand,All other ground is sinking sand.

Edward Mote 1797
If ever from the pen of a mortal man a song was inspired of God, this must indeed be one of those. There are many others that stir my soul and move me, but this is one of the best. In our contemporary world of what passes muster as "Christian music", this song and others like it are in stark contrast.
Consider the absolute beauty and truth of the theology expressed in the verses. I have seldom seen faith in Jesus Christ expressed more truthfully and beautifully.
If you and I can read this great song and make it's words truely ours we will be safe, standing on the Solid Rock!

5 comments:

Wade Tannehill said...

How amazing that so many of us have sang this for years and don't have a clue what we're saying.

Royce Ogle said...

Unfortunately true.

Thanks for visiting Wade.

Larry said...

Beautiful song that will probably last forever, hope so at least!

Too often these old classics are abandoned in lieu of modern cutting edge songs from the Christian rock camp.

Danny said...

Wow. I just used this song and story of Edward Mote in my sermon on Sunday.

Great thoughts.

preacherman said...

Wade, Amen Brother.

I am so thankful for that solid rock on which I can stand. How sad that many Christians fail to stand on that solid rock especially during difficulties in life. As David faced temptations, difficulties, failures he turned to the solid rock for help. May we be like King David in understanding that God is our help and rock, our ever present help in time of need.

Royce great post.
Lookforward to reading more of your blog.