Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Are you for gospel preaching?

Are you really? Are you sure? We all say we are. At least all of us who say we love Jesus and believe the Bible, but if we are only for the preaching of the gospel when it is done by our friends we have a Bible lesson to learn.

Paul’s description of the gospel is found in 1 Corinthians 15 and in verses 3 and 4 he said “.....how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures”. This is the gospel and this good news is the power of God to save sinners and make them children of God.

We should not only approve when others not “like” us preach this message, but rather should rejoice that they do. Paul certainly did even when the preaching was not from pure motives. Even when his enemies preached the gospel he rejoiced. (Phil 1:12-18) “But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;
So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places;
And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.
Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defense of the gospel.
What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice”

Paul’s life was about getting out the gospel of Christ and even his status as a prisoner in chains was viewed by him as working to further the gospel. Paul was not so concerned if .folks ate in the building or had a different diet than he. His concern was that Christ be preached and he didn’t care who the messenger was.

There is a preacher who talks in tongues, and another who leads his folks to worship on Saturday, and exclude some things from their diet. Here is another group who teaches that only those in their group are saved. Do they preach the gospel? Do they tell men and women and boys and girls that Christ died for them and was buried and rose again and wants to forgive their sins and make them children of God? Then I ought to rejoice that Christ is preached! Period...

But what about their differences? They aren’t like us for God’s sake!! Paul’s answer is in Romans 14:1 and following. We are to receive those who are “weak in the faith“. I was reminded not only that I should be charitable to the “other sheep” but that those who bicker about days, diet, dispensations, and denominations, are those who are “weak in the faith”. OUCH!

Does this heavenly injunction to rejoice no matter who preaches the gospel include those guys on TBN? Does it include those who beg folks for money? Does it include the Baptist missionaries? Does it include men who preach against the our traditions? I am afraid so.

I have a problem with some of the “other sheep” do you? My problem is a sin problem isn’t it? (1 Cor 1:12 and 1 Cor 3:4-9) When we compartmentalize and want to exclude others who belong to Christ, Paul says we are “carnal”. In summary I have found myself to be immature and selfish as a Christian. My prayer is that God will forgive me and pour into my being that 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love that will cause me to love other Christians and be glad to do so.

God has chosen “by the foolishness of preaching to save those who believe”. May God help me mature to the place that I can rejoice when the message is preached, no matter who the messenger is.

Royce Ogle

4 comments:

preacherman said...

Royce,

Excellent post you really made me think.
You remember the story where Jesus's disciples are preaching,healing, and trying to cast out demons, and others are doing it in the name of Jesus.
What did Jesus say about the other men doing it?
Do we tend to forget that? What ever is done in his name is good.
Are we like the disciples sometimes? Royce, you really got me thinking this morning. But on the other hand we are warned about hearing another gospel that his preached to us. If a gospel is preached other that that authorized in scripture we need to understand that it is wrong.

Royce, thank you for you post.
I love reading your blog.
You sure make me think and challenge me ponder what God wants and I love that about your blog.

God bless you and your ministry.

Darin L. Hamm said...

I say amen. We will open our building each Saturday beginning in October to some of these others.

CL said...

Good post Royce, I know I am a day late and a dollar short, but what else is new. I rolled over here from John Dobbs blog. I also have been involved with the work there at Central and I am so encouraged by the folks there working so diligently loving the community.
Side note - My wife and her parents are from West Monroe, I wasn't sure if you knew them, George and Mary Ann Forcht - and Susan is my wife, she went to NLU for her Masters as well. They don't live there now but did years ago. Small world God bless!

Royce Ogle said...

cl,

Thanks for the comment.

I have only been in the area since June of 2000, so probably before my time.

Yes, Central and many others all along the gulf coast have done wonderful work. The churches of Christ have taken the lead and a watching world is paying attention.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle