Sunday, August 20, 2006

An Interesting Question

Today one of our preachers, Mike Kellett, preached a wonderful message entitled “Together in Grace”. For the past several weeks the focus of our lessons on Sunday a.m and p.m., and Wed evenings has been on this general topic

As usual, Mike did a wonderful job and preached an inspiring message in which he encouraged us to not only enjoy the blessings of personal grace but to show grace to others as well.

Having stated some wonderful truths about God’s relationship to us by and in grace, he made this statement. (This is not a word for word quote but close) “I know some of you are uncomfortable right now because I have talked about grace and the assurance of our salvation and have not said anything about the fact that you can loose your grace. You can loose it”. Then he made this observation. “I could almost hear a collective sigh of relief when I said that. Why is it that you are pleased to hear me say you can loose your salvation? Perhaps that is a sign we have some growing to do.”

The irony is, that moments before we pulled into the parking lot at church this morning I said to my wife, “One of the reasons people become very uncomfortable with the studies in grace, and especially the security of the believer, is fear. It messes with their identity. They have been told hundreds of times that they can blow it and be doomed for hell and they do not want to give that up. It has the same importance as not having a piano or missing having communion on Sunday. It is part of their Restoration identity and they don’t feel comfortable when anyone messes with it.”

Why else would anyone feel comforted by hearing a preacher tell them they can loose their salvation? Comments?

4 comments:

preacherman said...

I don't think we as Christians can begin to understand or comprehend God's love and grace for us. The devil uses fear to rob us of our joy, and make us think that salvation is based on works. The church where I am at for many years had been taught fear, legelistic requirements of the law, and their joy of Christianity was gone. Since, I have focused on God's love and grace and the joy they have now in being a Christian is 100% difference. I have heard members say, "when the other preachers where here, I felt what is use of being a Christian..." No joy, no love, no grace. Grace changes everything. Grace is the motivator for the things we do as Christians. Grace is the reason we do the good works.

When I was a youth minister I asked the teen who were Christians that if they were to die tonight or Christ was to return would you go to heaven? Out of 100 teens maybe 5 teens said yes.
I then quoted 1 John 5:13 "I write these things that you may know you have eternal life." That you may know...know. Isn't that wonderful. Kids broke down and in my amazement had never heard that passage. It was like that passage freed them of their fear. Gave them a spirit of power.

Restoration, what are we trying to restore? I believe have focused to much on the form and not the function. The function is what changes lives. The function of the church living the Christian life of faith, hope, love, mercy, kindness, and grace to the world who needs hope. Restoration identity should be found in the grace of a gracious God who looks beyond the form and desires his church to function as he does.

Royce thanks for you blog.
Excellent thoughts.

God bless you.

Royce Ogle said...

John 1:14 "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

I say to my so called "conservative" brothers, since Jesus was full of grace and truth, don't fear Grace any more than you do Truth.

Then, perhaps Truth is what they do fear.

Thanks for your visit and thanks for your timely comments.

Grace and Peace
Royce

Darin L. Hamm said...

Royce,

Thanks for sharing that, and thanks for the added comments, they are good.

It is an interesting phenomenon and unfortunate.

Darin L. Hamm said...

I shared this with a preacher friend of mine down Texas way.

It hit the mark with him.