Monday, December 04, 2006

Prayer

Why don’t we pray? Or, why don’t we pray more if in fact we do pray some? I contend the sin of prayerlessness is a symptom of unbelief. How could you and I who confess Christ as Lord, not pray or not pray much if we believe the words of Scripture concerning prayer?


If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.”
(John 14:14)

Ask, and it shall be given you
8 For every one that asketh receiveth

(Matthew 7:7)

Ask, and ye shall receive
(John 16:24)

Ye have not, because ye ask not.”
(James 4:2)

How much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?”
(Matthew 7:11)

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.”
(Matthew 21:22)

If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.”
(John 14:14)

It is abundantly clear from these Bible verses that it is the command and promise of our heavenly Father to hear and answer prayer.

The next few posts on this blog will concern prayer and what this blogger considers to be the Bible kind of prayer. Your comments and suggestions are desired and welcomed as ususl.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to it, sadly, we need all the remembers we can get, all the encouragement, all the exhortation, and even scolding to PRAY, PRAY, PRAY...

thanks, God bless

Matt said...

Gordon MacDonald has a great quote on prayer I will have to dig up.

Bill Williams said...

I look forward to reading your post, Royce!

BTW, I've just added your blog to my blogroll at the Spiritual Oasis. If you have additional blogs to recommend, please do let me know.

You can check out the list at
www.thespiritualoasis.org.

Blessings to you and yours,
-bill

Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Royce thank you for calling us to be a people on our knees. Perhaps if we on our knees more we would have less energy for fighting among ourselves.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine

Matt said...

“Until we believe that prayer is indeed a real and highly significant activity, that it does in fact reach beyond space and time to the God who is actually there, we will never acquire the habits of worship and intercession. In order to gain these habits we must make a conscious effort to overcome the part of us that thinks that praying is not a natural part of life.” - Gordon MacDonald

Darin L. Hamm said...

I think a part of it is the rational/scientific way of thinking. It has taken me several years and I still am working to really understand the dynamics of prayer.

Thanks and I am looking forward to reading more.

Kathy said...

Newbie here, Royce. Great subject!!

Only in prayer do we come in contact with the Ephesians declaration that we are 'seated in the heavenlies' - only in prayer are we transported to our seat at the foot of the Savior's throne of grace.

Thanks for again reminding me of prayer, encouraging me to 'be seated' more often than is my habit.

Great blog.

Kathy