Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I wish I had said it...

Today I was visiting the website of a Baptist preacher, Wade Burleson, and came across this quote. I was instantly confronted by it's truth and challenged by it's wisdom. I wish I had said it!

"We cannot have a relationship with our Christology (Beliefs about Christ)-- we can have a relationship with Jesus Christ. Our soteriology (Beliefs about how one is saved) cannot save us from sins our Saviour can. Our ecclesiology (Beliefs about the church) does not make us one -- the Lord of the Church does. Our eschatology (Beliefs about the end of the world as we know it) will not transform this flawed universe -- Jesus the King of kings and the Prince of Peace will do that. And no matter how much we love theology -- it will never love us back.' We do not mean to denigrate the importance of theology and truth, but we advocate the subordination of Sola Scriptura (The Bible only) beneath Sola Christo (Christ only)."
Mark Powell. (The words in parentheses were added by me.)

I don't know who Mark Powell is, what church he attends, or anything else about him. What I do know is that this statement attributed to him is profound, describes the very heart of the Christian faith and lays bare the error of those who only imitate it.

If you and I really believed this statement, and we should in my view, it would transform our lives, ministries, and resurrect fading hope in many of us.

Read it, re-read it, and let me know what you think about it.

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great quote,
there is a mark powell who teaches at HUGSR in memphis, good teacher, also teaches theology.

Paula Harrington said...

Royce,

I read the statement a couple times and was amazed at how simple it's put (when you get past all the big words :)

Thanks for posting it.

Bill Williams said...

This is excellent Royce! Thanks for passing it along. -bill

Royce Ogle said...

Brian, I believe this Mark Powell is a Baptist. Thanks for stopping by.

Paula, It's always nice to see that you have been here. I appreciate your comments.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Royce Ogle

SteveY said...

I am glad you allowed Mark to say it on your blog. Thank you for this post. It's simple, it's real, and it's true servanthood.

Merry Christmas brother!