Wednesday, September 13, 2006

UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION

The doctrine of Unconditional Election was first codified into a summation called a "creed" about 1500 a.d., plus a few years. What does it mean?

In eternity past, God made a decision as to whom He would extend His gracious offer of salvation through Christ and wholly upon Christ's merits and not upon any worthiness of the sinner. And, by necessity, He decided that all the rest of mankind should be forever separated from the Godhead and be punished in hell for their sins. This is admittedly a very simplistic definition, but I believe it conveys the basic elements of the particular doctrine. I invite any corrective comments and will gladly correct any error.

While I make NO claim of being a theologian, I do hold personal views and have long held beliefs formed over my 40 plus years of inquiring into the things of God. So, take my view of this doctrine with that in mind. You, of course have the absolute right to disagree and to have your own formulation of the doctrine as you see it. With that disclaimer out front I submit my beliefs.

I disagree completely! While I do believe in the doctrine of election, I disagree with "Unconditional Election". I believe that before creation God's foreknowledge of all peoples of all ages allowed Him to know who would receive his gracious offer of salvation by grace through faith upon the merits of Christ alone. Given that infinite knowledge He chose some to life and some to death. In my tiny brain this view in no way infringes upon the free will of man, nor does it dilute the sovereignty of God. Every man is still completely free to receive God's graceful offer, or to reject it. God's knowing does not effect the decision of man. And, though man can still exercise free will, his will in no way changes God's predetermination of man's final end because God infinitely knows.

For over 30 years I struggled with the doctrine of election and then one day I read this passage of Scripture. "For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified." (Romans 8:29-30).

The very essence of God is Love. How could God be infinitely loving and doom some men to hell and others to heaven? John 3:16 states in part, "God so loved the world.." The scope of God's grace is every man. Then 2 Peter 3:9 says, "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." I don't see how the Bible could be more plain. It would please God if every person repented and embraced Christ. He does not find pleasure in the loss of one soul. However, He knows each of us and how we will treat the knowledge of Him. Romans 1 teaches that wicked men have chosen to not retain the knowledge of God in their minds.

Finally, those whom God knows will receive His graceful offer, He effectively calls. The Holy Spirit "draws" them to Christ. All of those who are called Jesus said would come, and every one of them will be justified, and every one of them will one day be glorified. Those who have trusted Christ will be put on display for the universe to witness the greatness of God the Father and His Son the Lord Christ. It is not now nor ever shall be about us. He saved us for His glory and for no other reason.

There are dozens of other passages that I could offer to prove up the same truths but in the interest of brevity I will stop here.

Elected? Yes! Unconditionally elected? Absolutely not.

Comments?

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

1 comment:

preacherman said...

Great post.
I totally agree.
I have a choice. I have a choice whether I am going to follow God or not follow God or even reject God and his grace.
Choice is a blessing that God has given to us as His creation.
We aren't robots thank God.
We have free will and choice.
How aweful would it be for God to say Royce your not chosen...Preacherman your chosen...Preacherman's wife your not chosen...Royce's wife chosen...and on and on and on. How sad. How aweful.
Max Lucado wrote, "Love is only love if chosen." How true.
So God allows us to chose. He wants us all to come repentance...but he leaves it up to us.
Now that my brother is the love of God that I can't even begin to comprehend.
Thanks for you post. Great thoughts.