Tuesday, September 12, 2006

T.U.L.I.P.



Reformed Theology (Calvinist)

Am I a 5 point Calvinist, a 4 point Calvinist or do I agree with any of the 5 points of Calvin. I will discuss each briefly and try to decide how I fit on the Reformed scale of theological thought.

Where are you? I am curious how much we are alike, or different.

I will address each of these in different posts over the next few days. I will give my views in very simple, easy to understand statements.

Total Depravity

Unconditional Election

Limited Atonement

Irresistible Grace

Perseverance of the Saints
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Depravity: This one is easy for me. Absolutely! Sinful men are unable to stop sinning. Paul said of himself "I know that in me, that is in my body, there is no good thing".(Romans 7:18 )"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"(Jer 17:9) "There is none righteous, no not one." (Rom 3:10)

Most of you have children or grand children. May I ask a question? Do you have to teach children to be good or to be bad? I have never heard of anyone having to teach a little child selfishelfesh, to take other kids toys, to then lie about it, and so on. They "naturally" tend toward doing wrong. Original sin? You tell me. David thought so.

Never in the history of civilization has any society had to make rules to keep people from doing so much good. The reverse is true of all men in every century in every ethnic group.

I submit if we were not totally depraved why would we need Jesus? We could simply, with the help of religious training, knock off a few rough edges and be just fine. There is a rather large school of thought that says mankind is basically good and just needs to be understood. I believe mankind is basically wicked and needs Jesus and His righteousness.

Comments?

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

1 comment:

SteveY said...

Not a very politically correct post Royce. Of course, that's why we love you so much - because you care most of what God thinks of you. Love you brother.