Thursday, July 13, 2006

At rest in Christ

In John 10 Jesus talked about Himself as the Great Shepherd of His sheep. In verses 27-30 He said, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

Now lets see...."I give them eternal life." I wonder how long "eternal" is? Is it until I mess up? Is it until I disappointnt the Shepherd? Oh, look at the middle part of verse 28. "..and they shall never perish." But what if...??? Or what if I...??? Lord, do you mean I will NEVER, EVER perish? That seems to be the meaning doesn't it? But how can that be?

Perhaps it is because of verses 29 & 30. "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. I and My Father are one."

It is becoming clear isn't it? Our heavenly Father is more powerful than any other force in a million galaxies. Jesus and the Father are "one". This Creator God says once He gives eternal life the sheep (Christian) will NEVER DIE!"

In John 17 when Jesus prayed what I think of as "The Lord's Prayer", He said these words to the Father, “I do not pray for these alone (His disciples), but also for those (You and I) who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world."

Is it safe to assume Jesus got His prayers answered? He prayed to the Father that you and I, who believed on Him through the word of the disciples, would be with Him where He is and behold His glory which the Father gave Him.

Do I believe in the eternal security of the believer? How could I not?

Royce Ogle

No comments: