Monday, October 09, 2006

Celebrate Recovery

Just moments ago while I was reading Patrick Mead's blog, I recieved a phone call from an old friend. He has been asked to share his testimony this Friday night at Celebrate Recovery at our church.

This wonderful man is a trophy of the grace and love of God. And, he is breathing proof of a congregation who takes seriously Jesus's teaching that we are to forgive as many times as the forgiveness is needed. I will not go into the gory details of this man's sinfulness and often failing. Lets just say that each time he fell, he fell hard, and then he ran back to his forever family, where he found rebuke, encouragement, warm hugs, mixed tears of sadness and joy, and people who had long ago made a decision to love people unconditionally.

Now this guy has a two year history of attending a Bible based 12 step program, becoming a leader in the recovery ministry, attending 6:00 a.m. Bible studies at the home of an elder twice a week, leading druggies and other down and outers to Jesus, and becoming once again a respected business man in our community.

Sadly, in many churches this man would have been rejected after the first public arrest, or surely after the second, but thank God, we are learning to look in the middle of problems for potential, to sort through garbage for grace, and to fill empty souls with hope.

Unless I break a leg or worse, I will be there Friday to see my brother give witness to a living Jesus who is still in the life changing business just as He was over 2000 years ago.

"God so loved the world...."

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

1 comment:

preacherman said...

Great post.
I know for me as a minister I see church as a place for sinners to find healing. I hope that all churches in the future will be a place of recovery. I know I have seen the wonderful blessing in taking members and supporting members who need recovery. I am going to AA with a member who needs help from his addictions. I have seen AA and countless other programs be a blessing to many Christians. Over the few years I have seen the church I am at know become a place where people can find encouragement, strength, forgiveness, acceptance and healing.